25 May 2011

Art Bead Scene May Challenge




This has been in the making since the very beginning of the month but just could not get around to finishing it until today.  I've been quite ill for the last week and before that I was busy with non jewellery related stuffs so have been itching to get stuck...
in to making things again.

I had already finished the beads a few weeks back and  I tried etching for the very first time about 10-12 days ago and absolutely loved it! I kinda had the ABS challenge in mind when I first tried etching as I made a little house and umbrella charm in copper and set them aside for this piece.

So I had my beads and my two little charms but needed something to complete the body of the bracelet and of course the components too. I decided to go back to etching as it's such a simply process with some lovely results and I choose the shape of a cherry blossom from the painting to make a "cuff" piece for the bracelet. 
I then made an S clasp and "eye" and some jump rings to complete the piece.  The copper was then antiqued with LOS and sealed with renaissance wax to protect the patina.

I was sent a stash of Ghanan trade beads from a friend of mine in South Africa and whilst browsing through them today I found the perfect shade of green and used the little glass beads as an accent. I also added a little ring of red toho seed to represent the cherries. 

I had great fun making this piece. I think my favourite part is putting everything together after I've finished making them and seeing if what I've created looks anything like the idea I had in my head when I started. 


8 comments:

  1. I love it love it love it!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fantastic bracelet. I absolutely love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a really lovely piece and of that's an early go at etching I'm well impressed - well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you! Definitely loving the etching and I'm guessing I will be using it quite a lot in my designs...it gives such freedom!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, I saw your interview on Love My Art Jewellery blog and wanted to say how much I like your designs. Love your bracelet for the May ABS challenge!
    Deb x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous bracelet, fabulous colours, wonderful design. Love it and now I must become a follower.

    ReplyDelete